We have collected facts from all over the world. Now, that has taken us a while.
So let’s cut right into the chase, let’s not waste any time!
1. The world’s fastest car (the 250 miles per hour Bugatti Veyron) is used by the Dubai Police.
2. Tesla is the world’s most valuable car company since July 2020, when stock prices allowed it to overtake Toyota. Call it the Elon Musk takeover!
3. Almost 96% of your car’s lifetime is spent parked; Let’s say an average person drives 1 hour and 40 minutes per day, meaning that the vehicle remains sitting for the remaining 22 hours and 20 minutes (which is about 96% of the day).
4. Biologists estimate that drivers kill more deers than hunters do! Yikes!
5. Whale oil was used as the oil for car transmissions until 1973 when the whales were put on an endangered species.
6. The world’s largest speeding fine was 1,000,000 $. That’s right, one million dollars… It was issued to a Mercedes SLS driver in Switzerland, where fines are proportionate to driver income. Wonder how much he made.
7. There are currently 1.3 billion cars around the world, which means 1 for every 5 people… San Marino, California, has the highest car rate for 1.2 cars per person!
8. A modern car has 30k (Thirty thousand) individual parts. How many can you name?
9. Ferrari 250 GTO is the only car recognized by the court as a piece of art, making it a way for Ferrari to legally stop anyone from creating replicas of what are -now- the most valuable cars in the world, costing 75,000,000$.
10. In the United States, a car is stolen every 45 SECONDS!
11. Approximately, you spend 5 months of your life waiting at red lights. Sounds like a sad 90’s love song.
12. Chevrolet introduced the first car radio in 1922 with a huge price tag of 200$ (that’s over 3200 $ in today’s money).
13. The bestselling car of all time is the Toyota Corolla. It has over 44 million cars sold… these days they sell one every 40 seconds!
14. The United States has more cars than any other country in the world (about 270,000,000). While China is expected to have more any moment now.
15. Carjacking in South Africa was so ramping that one inventor came up with an anti-theft device that shoots flames from the side of the car! He sold hundreds of copies of it, & it never got banned! The cars in the US need this!
16. At the beginning of the 20th century, 38% of cars were electric, 40% ran on steam power, and only 22% were powered by gasoline!
17. People who take public transport -rather than drive their own cars- are on average 2.5 Kgs lighter.
18. A 1962 Ferrari is the most expensive car ever sold. It fetched $48.4 million in an auction. How much do you think you would make if you sell your car?
19. Car insurance companies stated that the average driver gets into 3 to 4 accidents during their lifetime. That sounds scary.
20. About 65% of the world’s population drives on the right side of the road! It doesn’t seem that way when you look at the map. But not if you consider the highly populated India which used to be a British colony.
21. Airbags inflate in just 0.03 seconds. A blink of an eye lasts four times longer. Thank you, airbags
22. In Los Angeles, there are more cars than people.
23. Hong Kong has more number of Rolls Royce per person than any other city. This is because The Peninsula Hotel in Hong Kong alone owns 15 of them!
24. Only one 1983 Chevrolet Corvette exists. This is because Chevrolet had to delay the production of this model until the next year. There were still cars which were built for testing and evaluation purposes in 1983, but of which only one survived.
25. Irving Gordon is the person who has achieved the highest vehicle mileage ever in his 1966 Volvo 1800s. He’s driven 3,039,122, which is the equivalent of about 120 complete circles around our dear earth.
26. The British traffic police carry teddy bears among their equipment in their car to comfort children after a road accident. Not all heroes wear capes.
27. 16% of all car owners never wash their cars. Are you one of them?!
28. Cars are the most recycled consumer product in the world.Call it E-car-friendly!
29. Jaguar was labeled SS before World War II, but it was changed later so it won’t be confused with the infamous SS Nazi troops.
30. Some Supercars generate so much down-force that they could drive in a tunnel, upside down!
31. Volvo was the first car manufacturer to fit 6 figures Odometers (mileages) to its cars. Which shows just how reliable they are.
32. According to the Bugatti CEO, their customer on average owns 84 cars, 3 jets, & 1 yacht. Whereas an average Bentley customer has only 8 cars. That’s the difference between a millionaire & a billionaire!
33. The Volkswagen Beetle was originally called the “Type 1”, and it was nicknamed the Beetle. It was only until 1967 that the name became official.
34. The tires on the Bugatti Veyron will explode after only 15 minutes at full speed! But that’s okay because the fuel tank would be empty after just 12 minutes.
35. Sweden sold 1,000 Volvos to North Korea, for which it never paid. However, Sweden still sends the bill twice a year to North Korea.
36. More than a hundred million lines of code are used to program the computer system in a Bentley Bentayga. Wonder how many bugs are still in there…?
Bonus fact, because why not?
37. Volkswagen’s bestselling product isn’t even a car! Its sausages! They were originally meant for their factory cafeteria, but it got so popular it sold a lot in the supermarkets.
Bet that last one caught you off-guard. Now you know some things you’d have never expected to be true about Automobiles…