Chandni chowk is the architectural art of the Mughal empire Shah Jahan’s daughter Jahan Ara, who designed the Chandni chowk in 17th century. It is one of the India’s most bust markets in Delhi. The name means a place of moonlight and the market got its name due to the moon light reflection which used to hit the water in a pool present in the center of the market and the canals into which the whole market was divided but now the pool doesn’t exist.
Beside that according to some other saying it is also known as chandi chowk which refers to a meaning of silver market which derived from the famous silver merchants of the market during the Mughal era. The Chandni chowk has been famous from the day of its construction through which the Mughals Empire’s procession took place also the queens and king of the British Empire during their rule on sub-continent.
After years of its construction the pool was replaced with a big clock but with the passage of time the clock also disappeared from its place but the area has been still called Ghantagar giving the meaning of clock house. Later on many additions were made to the market such as the Delhi town hall by the British in 1863. The whole Chandni chowk stars from the Lohori gate and it ends on the Fatehpuri masjid.
Chandni chowk is also having the home or residencies of the local on its both sides which also includes some very old building called Hawali. It has also many religious spots like mosques, temples and churches. The chandni chowk has everything to offer from hundreds of food and sweet varieties to books and jeweler. The chandni chowk is famous for its old and historical restaurants where some goes back to the 18th in their age.