French Quarters are one of the oldest neighborhoods of New Orleans city and are also known as Vieux Carre.
The neighborhood was founded in 1718. At that time the neighborhood was an isolated place and most of the development started in late 18th century.
Today the place is a historic landmark and has some significant buildings. The place is also the prime tourist destination and attracts locals as well as foreigners.
In hurricane Katrina the area suffered light damage due to flood waters.
The area is elevated by up to three feet and has around 25 percent of water.
The area has around 78 blocks and some of the blocks have been redeveloped due to devastation. The management of area and reconstruction is under the Vieux Carre commission.
According to census conducted in 2002, around 4000 people were living in the area covering a density of 3212/kmsq.
Majority of the buildings are dated back to 1803 in New Orleans, USA. These buildings are protected under the law of New Orleans from 1920.
There was a fire in late 17th century that destroyed most of the buildings of the quarter. Later on, the Spanish residents built the buildings by modern architecture.
The most known streets of the area are Bourbon Street also known as Rue bourbon.
The area has some tidy restaurants. One of the restaurants that are famous among motor bikers is Johnny White’s. The restaurant is famous for its staying open during and after Katrina Hurricane allowing people to take shelter in it.
The area has hotel chains including bed and breakfasts and small restaurants.