A castle built in around 13th century in the Sund area of the main city of Aland Island is known as Kastelholm Castle. It is situated just beside the road having a sea behind it. It has been built in medieval style of construction and is one of the ancient landmarks. It is one of the very few Finnish old buildings. It had been under the use of different rulers for various purposes and faced destructions and reconstructions over years. Now it is a famous tourist site for holidays. It was a sign of Swedish people present in Aland.
At first it was used by the queen of Denmark, Margaret but after some years it was captured by Danish naval. In 1959 a civil war began in Aland during which the castle went under the control of the king Charles and this was the time when castle faced a lot of destruction due to war but repaired after few years. It was restored in 1982 and since then it is there as a museum opened for tourists. For a long period of time it had been used for administrative purposes where it was having main post office of the Aland. In around 1571 the castle was serving as a prison. Up to 1931 it worked as a granary. The later constructions have added many wings to the building.
The whole castle is surrounded by a wall and the building is made up of bricks. It has basically two portions a keep and a residential having two towers. The castle is having an item display hall for the visitors mostly filled with the early stove tiles. It is a heart touching site with Aland’s roads made in red color and the beautiful natural environment around the castle is adding to its beauty.